OTTAWA – 06/20/17; Our region’s most family-friendly party takes place this Saturday. The CHEO Foundation invites everyone to come and enjoy the 34th edition of CHEO’s Teddy Bears’ Picnic, Saturday, June 24th on the grounds of Rideau Hall. No rain date.
At the recent CHEO Telethon a record $8,727,897 was raised to support life-saving medicine, ground-breaking research, compassionate patient care and crucial equipment upgrades at CHEO and the Ottawa Children’s Treatment Centre. The Teddy Bears’ Picnic is one important way for CHEO to thank this amazing community for their continued support. It is a fun-filled day in which CHEO celebrates families and children and is jam-packed with activities for kids of all ages:
• The day begins with a celebrity breakfast from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. where pancakes, sausages, juice and coffee are available for $5 per adult and $3 per child. The food will be served up by local celebrities.
• At 9 a.m. the popular B*A*S*H Tent (Bear Ambulatory Surgical Hospital) will open and volunteers from CHEO will make sure to fix any boo-boo that local stuffies have sustained. Children are invited to bring their teddy bears and other stuffed animals for their yearly check-up and visit to the dentist.
• At 9:30 a.m., another local celebrity – CHEO Bear – will lead the parade of mascots to the delight of children big and small.
• Carnival games presented by Giant Tiger, children’s rides, clowns, face painting and free tours of the Governor General’s official residence are also on the agenda, as is the popular Build a Buddy tent presented by Bell, where for a $20 donation children can create their very own teddy bear. All proceeds from the Build A Buddy tent go to CHEO. Family entertainment is also offered on the main stage between 10 a.m. and noon. All festivities end at 2 p.m.
• There will be an ATM on site.
No parking on site: Because there is no parking available on site, free parking and shuttles will be available at CHEO, 401 Smyth Rd. in lots C and D starting at 7 a.m. The last returning shuttle bus leaves the Rideau Hall grounds at 2:15 p.m. There is also free parking at NRC, 100 Sussex Dr. which is just a short walk to the picnic.
Admission is free, as are most of the activities thanks to the generous support of our corporate Good Bears including our major sponsors; Bell, Giant Tiger, PCL Construction and The Canadian Forces Health Services.
For more information contact:
Len Hanes – Director of Communications
Office 613 737-2784
Cell 613 447-2741