Donating stocks or mutual funds is the most tax-effective way to make an outright gift during your lifetime or as part of a legacy gift.
When an individual sells a stock or mutual fund they are required to pay tax on 50 percent of the capital gain. However, the Canada Revenue Agency notes that gifts of publicly trades shares and stock options are eligible for a tax receipt when donated to a registered charity.
Benefits of making a gift of securities to the CHEO Foundation:
- A charitable tax receipt will be issued for the fair market value of the securities. (at time of transfer)
- No capital gains tax owing if gifted to a public charity.
- Satisfaction of seeing your donation put to good use.
- Corporations can benefit from a tax deduction
- Opportunity to create a lasting charitable legacy through endowment/planned giving.
How to Give
Transferring your securities to the CHEO Foundation is easy. Simply follow our step-by-step instructions in the Securities Gift Form (PDF document) and provide it to your broker or financial advisor to complete the transaction.
Please contact Marc Belanger at 613-738-3691 or by email at email@example.com with any questions you may have or toll free at 1-800-561-5638.
The CHEO Foundation recommends that you consult your legal and financial advisor in any matter concerning estate and legacy giving. All inquiries are treated in the strictest of confidence. The CHEO Foundation does have printed materials available to help guide you and your professional advisor.