Thank you for thinking of CHEO. Your fundraising efforts make a big difference in providing quality care to the children in our region. Every penny counts! This document is meant to help make your event a success. Here at CHEO, we realize how fortunate we are to have a community that loves CHEO and cares about our kids. Whatever your event, big or small, you can be sure that the kids and staff at CHEO feel and see the difference you make. To begin, we suggest that you register your event on the CHEO Foundation website HERE and someone from our community engagement team will contact you. We are here to help you!
You can download the PDf version of the handbook here.
Click on the following headings to view more information:
Hosting a Community Event: What are they?
Independent community events are generously planned and organized by individuals and groups from communities across Ontario and Quebec.
They can be anything that is a good fit for the organizers and participants; from lemonade stands to skate‐a‐thons… the sky is the limit.
These events can take place any time throughout the year. Seasonal events such as holiday parties can be extremely successful. For best results, start your planning as early as possible and spread the word!
Organizers choose the most appropriate venue to hold their special event. If the venue requires an official letter of endorsement, please contact the CHEO Foundation’s Community Engagement Team.
Perhaps you have had a meaningful experience at CHEO or know someone who has, or maybe you simply want to make a difference in the life of a child.
With time, teamwork and fun, you can make a difference for CHEO’s kids!
|• anything‐a‐thon (dance, spin, walk)||• magic show|
|• bake sale||• multicultural event|
|• BBQ||• office casual Fridays|
|• car wash||• pancake breakfast|
|• celebratory events (birthday, wedding)||• pet sitting|
|• craft sale||• picnic|
|• dinner and dance||• scavenger hunt|
|• fashion show||• seasonal party|
|• head shaving event||• sporting event|
|• games night||• silent auction|
|• golf tournament||• talent show|
|• karaoke idol||• trivia night|
|• lemonade stand||• used book sale|
The possibilities are endless. Use your imagination!
Develop a Plan
Identify your Audience – Who is most likely to attend?
Set a Fundraising Goal – Give updates and thank your donors. Some donors are motivated by incentives like a challenge to shave or dye their hair once your goal is met. Always follow through and send photos when you do!
Set a Date – Start planning early. Check your community calendar so your event won’t compete with other events or holidays. Confirm your venue and give yourself time to obtain special insurance or licenses (raffle, liquor licenses, etc.) if required.
Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario requires you to apply for a license if you are including a raffle or gaming activity. Should you require this license please contact the CHEO Foundation at 613-737-2780 and ask to speak with a member of our Community Engagement Team. Please note that we need a minimum of four weeks notice to apply for any license.
Invite CHEO Bear – Contact the CHEO Foundation and reserve CHEO Bear at least two weeks prior to your event day. Find a volunteer to fill his shoes and someone to be CHEO Bear’s assistant.
Promote your Event
The CHEO Foundation can help you fundraise through the use of a personal fundraising web page. Your page will accept donations on your behalf, track results and it’s free to set up!
Word of Mouth – tell everyone you know and talk about your event every chance you get.
News Release – send out a media release to your local paper including what inspired your fundraising.
Facebook Event Page – use to invite friends and family. Update frequently including progress on fundraising goal. Recap the event and thank your sponsors!
Twitter – use a # symbol in front of a word or series of letters with no spaces to create a Twitter handle with “hashtag”. Let us know so we can retweet! Encourage attendees to post photos, use the event hashtag and share their experience.
Ex. #CNcycle #CHEO #CancerResearch
Instagram – have an account for the event and post pictures. Use the hashtag to follow and interact with people using it. Repost (“regram”) attendees’ posts to create a relationship with people.
YouTube – create a video to post afterwards – it’s a great way to say thank you and announce next year’s date if this is an annual event.
How to find CHEO on Social Media:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CHEOvideos – you’ll find lots of great stories!
Did You Know CHEO Facts:
- 500,000: Each year, CHEO helps over 500,000 patients.
- Last year CHEO’s Medical Day Unit had 10,467 patient visits.
- Smiley face pancakes for kids are made by CHEO’s food services to help brighten their day.
- CHEO is the only hospital in Canada to have a “Kid Clown School.” Laughter and play are important for patients’ recovery.
- Equipment for pediatric hospitals is costly. CHEO has specialized equipment, like blood pressure cuffs that come in more than eight different sizes.
- 20 years from now there will be 70,000 more kids in our community – that is why supporting CHEO today matters more than ever.
- CHEO’s Emergency Department is one of the busiest in Ontario. Last year 72,428 patients were treated in the ER.
CHEO’s Inspirational Stories:
Here is a video about the amazing staff and patients that make CHEO what it is:
Here is a Thank you video from the children and youth at CHEO:
Have fun! You are making a difference in the lives of the kids at CHEO through your event!
- Take pictures (your CHEO Foundation representative would love to have copies);
- Display CHEO Foundation’s promotional materials at the event;
- Read a letter of thanks on behalf of the CHEO Foundation;
- Keep track of donors’ names and contact details on a pledge form so participants who make charitable gifts of $20 or more receive an official tax receipt from the CHEO Foundation.
Let us know how the event went! Send us your pictures, videos, and testimonials. Please submit your event proceeds to your CHEO Foundation representative within four weeks.
1. Send a personal cheque or money order and a note about your event to:
Attention: Community Engagement
415 Smyth Rd
Ottawa, ON K1H 8M8
2. Call your CHEO Foundation representative and donate the event proceeds via credit card. Donors who request tax receipts will be issued their official tax receipts by the CHEO Foundation after event funds and donors’ full names and contact/address details are received.
3. Thank your event participants by sending them an email or card.
4. Send a picture of your event along with the amount raised to your local paper to celebrate your event with your community and post on social media. (Tag us!)